Monday, May 25, 2020

About Me and Manifesto

My name is Haley Nixon (my last name will be Lamoureux after 5/30/20!) and I teach Eighth Grade Math at Woonsocket Middle School at Hamlet.  I will be going into my sixth year teaching in September.  I am currently pursuing my TESOL G.C.S but looking forward to taking this education further and obtaining my Masters.
Teaching middle school isn't always easy but I have an awesome team of educators that I work with. I am second from the left in the holiday sweater picture.  Members of my team and I dressed up as characters from Inside Out for Halloween (I was sadness).  The English teacher and I dressed up for twin day (I am on the right)
 

Outside of school I love listening to music, reading books when I have time, and hanging with my dog Mookie, a rescued lab mix, who loves stealing socks and sitting on people's laps even though he is 65lbs.

I am always up for a spontaneous drive to new destinations and completing escape rooms (Lock and Clue in Pawtucket is fantastic!)

Manifesto

I am a teacher who stands up for my students against the injustices in our education system , who

is in favor of caring about the student as a whole instead of just their test scores, who is a supporter of

uncovering uncomfortable truths and against the comfortable lies that try to cover them up, who is a defender of my students' rights to a fair education who are up against a world that might try to keep them down. I am a teacher who favors the permanent struggle against inequality, corruptions, and against the mentality of "its always been this way" because it is easier. I am a teacher who

rejects uneducated biases, because it is responsible for the close-mindedness that affects our society today. I am a teacher full of hope, in spite of the negativity spread in the world. I am a teacher who

refuses to believe any person has a limit to their capability. I am a teacher proud of who I am, what I stand for, and proud of the obstacles my students overcome on a daily basis. If I do not

struggle for equality, then I will no longer be an effective teacher and productive member of our society.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to our class, Haley! Thanks for posting these great pics of your team and Mookie (named after former Mets player Mookie Wilson?? My sister has a dog named Muki, pronounced the same).I really appreciate in your manifesto how you integrate a critical perspective on education and inequality with a vision of, and desire for, hope. It seems so important to have BOTH.
    Thanks,
    Dr. Benson

    ReplyDelete