The English-Only Policy is in place in many school districts and workplaces throughout this country. This policy enforces that the only language that is able to be used is English. In some situations there are consequences for speaking another language.
These types of policies evidently show who has the power and the inequality that it creates in the classroom. While this is a policy that isn't written and displayed in the school district I work in, it is still enforced by some educators and administrators. Conducting this research will help me become more educated and share my findings with others in my district to help reverse this policy.A few of the readings I will be looking into are listed below. More readings may be included to further enforce my ideas.
The Impact of English-Only Instructional Policies on English Learners By Patricia Gándara (2012)
'English-Only' Laws in Education on Verge of Extinction by Corey Mitchell (2019)
'A HUGE SHIFT': HOW CALIFORNIA IS MAKING UP FOR 20 YEARS OF ENGLISH-ONLY EDUCATION by Sarah Jackson (2019)
Are "English-only" schools the best way to learn? by Jennifer Guerra (2014)
Why?
Great, Haley. I'd push you to focus on one specific effect or aspect of English Only policy that you find problematic. I think it might be too big of a topic for this short paper otherwise. Also, which texts from our class will you use? I certainly see some connections to Spring, Precious Knowledge, and Critically Compassionate Pedagogy.
ReplyDeleteI think the is a great proposal to focus on. My school has many "new comers" that don't speak any English.
ReplyDelete